5 Things to Brunch at The Curious Grape
f you can read a spreadsheet, you can find the perfect pairing at The Curious Grape. This cozy and organized, welcoming and hip 55-seat wine restaurant and shop offers a rotating list of 300 international wines and seasonal beers that you can sip there (then buy your favorites to go at a discount). The Curious Grape was voted #7 in Northern Virginia Magazine’s 50 Best Of issue last year.
Executive Chef Eric McKamey’s organized menu appeals to those with OCD–and maybe accountants who like to have fun–as it lays out wine pairings by wine style for each dish, so you can easily see what wine goes with Greek yogurt or spaetzle. We’re just tickled that you can find Austrian pancakes and Chinese congee harmoniously on the same menu.
During Sparkling Sunday brunch, you’ll find wines that run the gamut: sparkling, light crisp to rich, full-bodied whites, rosés, light to full-bodied reds. Plus there are crazy-sounding cocktails like the Ice Hot Apple, made with apple ice wine, hard cider, ginger beer and spicy ginger ale; or the Tawny Fizz, made with Tawny Port and sparkling Blanc de Noirs.
5 top picks at brunch:
- The elegant mini flight of Bloody Marys ($12). The light, smooth Pinot Grigio-laced Ciao Bella Maria with balsamic vinegar, roasted pepper and basil; the smoky Bloody Maria with sherry, smoked paprika, piquillo peppers and cumin; the zesty, nutty Beijing Mary seasoned with soy sauce, wasabi and sesame oil.
- The naughty and nice Austrian pancake souffle ($11) with sherried raisins, gold rush apple and hickory syrup with a side of crispy bacon.
- The very unique Chinese breakfast ($15) of creamy calasparra rice is a cross between congee and risotto, with roasted pork, marinated anchovy and fried egg.
- The flat-iron corned beef ($18) with sweet potato hash and a poached egg is perfect in the morning with a cup of coffee.
- Don’t forget to end with a scoop of espresso ice cream truffle ($4) with toasted hazelnut, espresso fudge sauce & raspberry sauce.
Sparkling Brunch served on Sundays from 10:30 am – 2:30 pm. See the full brunch menu here.
The Curious Grape
2900 S. Quincy St Arlington, VA 22206